Tuesday, July 29, 2014

July 29, 2014  Amazing MTC experiences

To say this week is like any other would be, without fail, a blatant lie.
  Tuesday, we got called down to the front office, as a district, and the head administrators met with us to tell us that the Owners of the largest radio broadcasting company in all of Southern Africa (who know THE Mandela family personally, as in the late Nelson Mandela) would be coming and interviewing our district. Over 7 million people listen in. That night at the devotional I got to see Elder Galbraith and he is doing just as awesome as anyone would have guessed! The next day we were briefed on how we should handle certain questions they might ask, and it was apparent how big a deal this opportunity was. The South African owners came into our classroom and we got to have personalized conversations with them and at the end of their questions we sang for these wonderful men, Called to Serve (in Portuguese, of course). Also in the room was Elder Hinckley, the son of the late Prophet, President Gordon Hinckley. I got to have a conversation with all of these wonderful men and that experience will always be in my mind. 
-Choir is amazing.
-Seeing and saying 'hi' to the MTC President in the cafeteria was cool.
-Listening to the director of Ephraim's Rescue and 17 miracles, and Stephen Allen (one of the writers of Preach my Gospel) who both had great devotionals.
-Having such an awesome Branch Presidency reminds me of how amazing Bishop Angus, Bro. Johnston, and Bro. Barlow are.
  Yesterday, I finished the Book of Mormon. Never have I before had such a thirst for any literature. The Book of Mormon, however, is not literature: I learned this week that the Book of Mormon isn't really a book that contains some wise words but that it is true scripture. It is so simple that when we read it we have a deeper and more real conviction of it. I was going to continue on with the Doctrine and Covenants but instead felt that it would be more beneficial to my conversion if I read the New Testament. Jesus Christ is the purpose of our lives, we must learn to feel like him, see like him, act like him, think like him. Which would be impossible, obviously, without him. 
  God has put District 69 together for a reason, there are very few coincidences in our district. We are all eagle scouts, we all have people who we are close to in our lives who are looking for happiness in things of the world, we all enjoy playing sports, we all try to build each other up. I am so grateful for the members of the district, and my teachers as well. Brother Belchior wanted me to tell you he says 'hi'. He is an incredible man. He was an ambassador for the United Nations when he was still in High School, which is unheard of. He has tons of friends in high places and led the most successful mission that the Ventura, California mission has ever seen and most likely will see. Yet, he is humble: from low circumstances in a poor town in Mozambique he has been blessed for turning to the Lord. I truly wish that everyone reading this could meet him. 
  As a district, during study time without our teachers, we decided to go around and say why we are going on missions. It was completely spontaneous and we even felt prompted to sing a few hymns in the middle of it. I have NEVER felt the spirit in the same way as I did that night. I was reminded of past sins of mine and struggled to control my emotions as the guilt still seemed to hold me back from my full potential. It was wonderful to have multiple people that I could talk to that told me the advice to 'let it go'. I prayed more fervently than ever before and I felt the love of our Heavenly Father.
  Another Lesson I learned this week was from one of my teachers, Brother Nielson. He is the most gentle and kind person, I have ever met. It makes you feel so peaceful whenever he talks because of his gentleness. We had been teaching this "investigator" who had been taking discussions for 15 years and was a pastor for his church. Already we had no chance with him. After every lesson we taught we turned to one another and said that we couldn't even feel the spirit in our lessons. We were distraught. Then after one lesson Brother Nielson had a discussion with just our companionship to find out what the problem was. He corrected us and told us that we had misunderstood his portuguese. He had TAKEN lessons 15 years AGO. Our investigator didn't change at all, but our view of him did. We didn't feel the spirit because we were without hope. I am glad I was chastised for not having any hope in such a wonderful person. We all have people in our lives that our hope has been wilting for. We must have hope and love. Without that we might as well have no relationship with that person at all.
  An MTC talk by Elder Bednar entitled: "Characteristics of Christ" explained how when Christ was in the very depths of his struggles, because they were struggles, he would turn outward. He healed the ear of the soldier who was going to take him to ultimately be crucified. I have found that I have not felt a tinge of longing for my family, friends, or life before when I am losing myself in the work. And it is because of the example of all of you that I am able to be in a position spiritually to do this.
  Quando eu sento o espirito santo eu sei que minha familia e meus amigos sao pessoas. Pessoas. Eu vou ensinar pessoas em Cabo Verde e quando relizo isso eu sei que meu deus abencoa-me com feliz. A lingua de Portugues e a lingua celestial, haha. Eu amo a trabalha dos missionarios porque e actualmente a trabalha de Deus. Obrigado por todas coisas!


-Elder Judd

No comments:

Post a Comment