Tuesday, July 22, 2014

July 22, 2014 Life of a MTC missionary

 1 baptized "investigator", 1 new investigator (that has been taking lessons for 15 years and is a pastor of his church who refuses to follow through on commitments), 8 pounds gained, 6 hours of sleep per night, 4 scriptures memorized in portugues, the 'White Bible' read 4 times cover to cover, started the Book of Mormon over and now in Helaman, and countless tender mercies and miracles. All this because the Lord is loving and has blessed us all as missionaries here at the MTC. Our teachers are blessings straight from God.
  Irmao Nielson has taught us how to work hard. Irmao Rodriguez has taught us how to work smart. And Irmao Belchior has taught us how to work fun! The lack of worries and stress here has been the perfect environment to dig inside oneself and stretch, grow, and learn. I have learned more about the language of the spirit than I have about the language of Portugues, which is already a ton. I have been able to carry on a decent conversation with my teachers, they definitly don't teach you how to do that well in the school's language department! Eu nao falo portugues muito mas eu sei que com a ajudar do salvador atreve o espirito santo posso falar portugues otimo. 
  They say that the MTC is like a prison, being trapped inside. Why would you trap yourself with that type of attitude? The MTC is more like the garden of Eden. A bright morning this past week, the sun was beaming gently onto the faces, the birds were chirping, and a butterfly was carelessly flying across our path. There are rarely times where I find myself not smiling here. Happiness is a symptom of gratitude, you can't avoid it no matter how hard you try. It is almost a chore not to smile, there is so much to be grateful for: God has given all. I have been so blessed with so many people in my life that have supported me and wanted the best for me. Thank you.
  I have three mottos here in the MTC:
1. Never make the same mistake twice.
2. Look back with no regrets.
3. Be yourself, but be your happiest self.
I have been blessed to witness many sacred and miraculous things happen here in our district. Some things too sacred and personal to those who experienced them for me to share. I know of the power of the gift of tongues: I prayed for Elder Conway one night (my near perfect companion/future prophet) sincerely that he would receive help with the language, this was while he was out of the room reading his scriptures, and the next morning his portuguese went from not being able to even pronounce a word to speaking in full sentences! It was so apparent and obvious that I asked him about it during the day and he told me that he didn't study scriptures he was praying with all his heart to receive help with the language and he heard the spirit tell him (not even whisper) "because of your faith I will bless you with the gift of tongues". I am so grateful for his example to me of what being a true missionary is like. He has such motivation, and was the number one wrestler in the state of Arizona last year.
  Not all everything here has been what you might imagine, however. So much immature and innapropriate talk and actions here.
  I really have never been happier in my life. God has given me time, God has given me energy, God has given me my family and friends, God has given me agency. Therefore I have sacrificed absolutely nothing. I am so grateful for all of your examples to me to help me give myself more fully to Christ. I have stopped trying to be the best missionary I can be and have started striving to live in the hand of the Lord so His work can be brought forth. Enjoy your summer everyone, life is great! There is so much more than I could ever have time to say!!


-Elder Judd 

No comments:

Post a Comment